Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hope & Haircuts


I was getting my haircut today and chatting with a random stylist when the conversation took an unexpected turn. We were talking about the economy, housing expenses in Burlington and working multiple jobs to make ends meat, when she started to tell me that she was working 3 jobs. Turns out that her fiancee was in a terrible car accident 3 months ago and lost movement in both his arms. Now they're struggling to pay the bills.

To make matters worse, she started to choke up as she told me that her 19 year old brother died in the same accident. She collected herself quite well, but I couldn't help feel her pain and hurt as she was struggling through my haircut.

When I arrived home I grabbed the paper and read that a church here in Williston, VT  just bought a piece of land for $3.3 million. No building. Just land. 

Gut wrenched, I went downstairs in my office and pulled out a church check from Mosaic and brought it to the hairstylist whose name I don't know and gave it to her. May the church learn that it doesn't exist for itself. May the church become the one organization that continues to exist for it's NON-members. And may that hairstylist be filled with hope tonight. We are the Church and we're here for the world. May God help us all.

3 comments:

Bill Jaggers said...

What a powerful story. Erwin also says that it is not what we have that gives us joy. It what we have to give. Thank you giving.

Tasha Lehman said...

A random act of kindness and generosity done out of the love of God says more than a million sermons! We can't wait till we can be there to "preach" to the people of Vermont with you guys! Until then, I guess we'll have to be nice to the people here. ;-)

Adam and Raechell said...

Thank you for sharing that...how inspiring and stirring to my soul. Thank you.